Richmond Workers’ Compensation Lawyer
Over 35 Years of Practicing Virginia Workers’ Compensation Law
- Frequent lecturer before bar and client groups on workers’ compensation issues
- Member of Virginia Trial Lawyers Committee on Workers’ Compensation Law
- Argued workers’ compensation cases in the Virginia Workers’ Compensation Commission, Court of Appeals & Supreme Court
- Over 1,000 successful hearings
Five successful appeals in 2014 without a loss before the Full Commission of the Virginia Workers’ Compensation Commission, which handles all appeals of Deputy Commissioner Hearings:
- I won a Permanent Total Disability (PTD) claim of lifetime compensation for a woman who suffered a head injury and whose 500 weeks of Temporary Total Disability (TTD) had expired. Jones v. Bon Air Correctional Center, April 14, 2014.
- I won an appeal of a denial of bilateral knee surgeries. The insurer had contended she needed surgery due to arthritis and not the work accident. The Full Commission agreed with me that the need for surgeries was work-related and reversed the Deputy Commissioner’s decision. Cooper v. Virginia Center Hospital, April 22, 2014.
- I won an appeal of a Deputy Commissioner decision awarding compensation for a head and back injury suffered in a steam explosion at an industrial plant. The Full Commission disagreed with the insurer’s contention that the claimant had only reported an arm abrasion. Tyler v. MOR PPM, June 2, 2014.
- I won an appeal of a termination of workers’ compensation benefits by the insurer. The insurance company contended that the claimant had been released to work, but I successfully argued that she still had work restrictions which prevented her from performing her pre-injury job. Glenn v. Phillip Morris USA, April 23, 2014.
- I won an appeal of a denial of foot surgery. I proved that my client’s left foot injury caused her right foot injury. Heath v. Davita Inc., April 3, 2014.
The Virginia State Bar Rules of Professional Conduct requires all attorneys to make the following statement and disclaimer to their case results: Settlements and verdicts in all cases depend on various factors and circumstances which are unique to each case. Therefore, past results in cases are not a guarantee or prediction of similar results in future cases which Mr. Lutkenhaus may undertake.
Having MS for a long time, working was becoming very difficult for me so I applied for disability benefits. I was denied any benefits and heard that I would need to hire a lawyer. A long time friend of mine, who is a lawyer, said to call Gerald Lutkenhaus. Jerry and his staff were very knowledgeable about the entire process and the firm handled my case as true professionals. Thank you.
Update: I just got the decision letter in the mail from the ALJ, I was awarded disability benefits!! Thanks again.
– Todd B., 5.0 Review ★★★★★
Gerald was very thorough during the time I spent with him in the office discussing my claim and my concerns. He and his staff were polite and welcoming which was nice. I could definitely see myself referring others to him. Thank you for all that you have done for me.
– Monaiya G., 5.0 Review ★★★★★
I needed a workers comp lawyer for my totally incapacitated husband. I contacted Jerry. He and Rose did a great job on his case and got him a settlement for $300,000 plus lifetime medical care and a home health aide at $600 per week.
– Wanda S., 5.0 Review ★★★★★
I was hurt multiple times on the job. The last injuries I sustained was torn labrum, left bicep, and had messed up the current fusion that was done to my neck. My company only wanted to pay to have my shoulder and left bicep reattached. Now I have a chance to get the surgery to correct all the pain. Everyone was very helpful – Anne, Rose, and Mr. Lutkenhaus.
– Justin V., 5.0 Review ★★★★★
Worked for me on a case. I acquired PTSD after getting a shock finding a suicide at my apartment complex. Their lawyer tried to show I could work at the complex. Fear kept me from doing this. He helped stop their attempt to cut off my compensation.
– Crystal S., 5.0 Review ★★★★★